Hey all trying to get back into this, but sadly will probably fail as life gets in the way. Quick Major update: I am now a Dr (PhD) whoop whoop and I am living in Berlin, a city I absolutely adore. However it also appears to get as grey and miserable as the UK in autumn, so today after feeling particularly cold I decided to make a warming soup. It’s an updated twist on the AVOCA cauliflower cheese soup I love, so let me know what you think.
Spiced cauliflower cheese soup
prep 10 mins cook 30-45 mins
- One medium onion or two small onions, finely diced.
- Three medium potatoes finely diced.
- One clove garlic, crushed
- A full head of cauliflower.
- Half liter of chicken stock
- Two table spoons creme fresh
- About 30g cheese or more grated.
- As much hot sauce as you want
- Diced smoked bacon
- Fry off the bacon till crispy in a stock or soup pan and set aside. In the bacon fat sauté the onions over a medium heat until they are translucent and then add the garlic and sauté for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the finely chopped potato to the onions and garlic, and mix so coated in the fat/oil, sauté a little and season with salt and pepper. If you want spicy soup this is when you add your hot sauce and let it simmer/ cook a little.
- Add the stock to the potatoes and then add the chopped cauliflower. I had roasted my cauliflower before hand but it didn’t really add anything so I would just chop it and add it. Bring this all to the boil and then simmer for 20 mins or until veg is tender.
- Add the creme fresh and stir till well mixed, if you prefer a smoother soup blend half the mixture now, otherwise leave as is. Cook another 5 mins.
- Finally add the grated cheese and bacon bits, and stir till cheese is melted. Taste and further season if needed, then serve.