So This is a recipe for tomato and Lentil soup, it has been my favourite for as long as I can remember, I used to asked my Dad to make it all the time, and because it is so simple it was one of the first things I learned to cook. It’s quick it’s simple, it’s mostly store cupboard ingredients and it’s so damn tasty!
tomato and Lentil soup
prep 10 mins cook 30 mins
- One medium onion or two small onions, finely diced.
- 1 cup red lentils (aprox 250g)
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes or 1 tin +4 chopped fresh tomatoes and a cup of tomato puree
- 1 litre veg stock
- 1 tbsp thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Dice the onion and fry in oil until translucent, then season with salt pepper and the thyme.
- Add the tomatoes and stir, then add the stock and the lentils. (You could pre soak the lentils in the stock while the onions cook it’s up to you).
- Bring everything to the boil then turn down low and simmer for 30 mins, stirring everything 5-10 minutes.
- Taste and season if needed (to add sweetness you could at 1 tbsp ketchup)