So for a couple of days now, I’ve been hankering to cook chicken livers, I’m not sure why it might be this post on Flavourgasm http://foolingaroundinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2010/06/chicken-livers-on-sherried-risotto-with.html. But I wanted to cook them, so I wandered down my village to my butchers and got myself half a pound of chicken livers, it was 77p, SEVENTY SEVEN PENCE, I was amazed. Another amazing cheap meat available at my butchers is Lamb neck, at £2.99 for 3 it was great value and they braise very nicely.
Now what to do with them? I liked the idea of the risotto but I don’t have truffle oil, so I looked around and found an interesting recipe in an old good food for Baby spinach and chicken liver salad. I moved some bits around and this is what I got.
Chicken Liver and Rocket salad
- half pound of chicken livers
- 3 rashers of bacon, or pancetta
- 2 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp of ground coriander, cinnamon and garam masala
- sherry vinegar
- white wine
- 3tbsp oil
- fresh rocket
- Trim the liver of any sinews and cut into bite size pieces. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add bacon and fry for a few minutes, add the finely chopped garlic and cook for a further 2 mins. Add the spice, and fry for another minute.
- Reduce heat and add the chicken livers, season and cook till crusty on outside and pink in the middle.
- Add the sherry vinegar and stir, in then add a splash of wine, simmer to get a thickish sauce. Place the livers and bacon onto the rocket and reduce the sauce down further. Then drizzle over the top.
Enjoy as a light bite or a side dish on a warm summer night like tonight. Liver is lovely and cheap but this meal makes it seem expensive.